The Lutheran church of Sotkamo represents the style of later Renaissance with neo-gothic details. The wooden church was designed by Oldenburg. It was built in 1860s, during the time of Great Famine and opened its doors in 1870. The altar piece, representing the Resurrection of Christ, was painted by Severi Falkman.
The Sotkamo Orthodox Church is situated at the cemetery near Rauhantie. The church of The Protection of the Mother of God was built in 1961, upon the project of Teuvo Alapeuso. The building became a church in 1986.
The Sotkamo Parish church is the fifth church in the history of the region, and also the biggest one in Kainuu region. The church can accommodate about 2 300 people, with removable wall and organ giving space for 1 400.
The history of Sotkamo region is told in the exposition of the Old Warehouse Museum, which presents the development of the region from pre-historian times to present days. The museum was opened in 1951 and has about 800 objects.
In Sumsa, just 25 km away from Sotkamo, there is Tervajärvi House Museum. The museum complex includes a living building, two sheds and a loft. The design of the museum is adjusted to resemble a house from 1950s. Heikkinen family owns the building since 1600s, and the yard and the buildings have been open for public access since 1984.
Most of the museums are open during summer.
Travellers coming to Sotkamo by car are greeted by the statue designed by Nina Terno and dedicated to one of the most famos Finnish novelists, professor Veikko Huovinen (1927–2009). Since 2014, the exposition presenting the writer’s working cabinet has been available for public in Sotkamo Niemelä.
In 2002 Huovisnäreikkö, the forest named after Veikko Huovinen, was founded in the area. Situated in Hallavaara along Pitämäntie road, it has been registered officially under this name, and it is shown on the maps.
When walking in the forest along a 700 meter-long trail, which goes amidst spruces, you can see the tablets with the author’s inscriptions of some phrases from his works.